Helpful Resources For Toronto Women

One of the ways that NYWC helps Toronto women – in addition to our confidential, one-on-one support services, women’s empowerment groups and drop-in/virtual lounge – is directing them to other organizations and services that offer specialized support. Below, please find a list of some helpful resources.

If you’re not sure who to contact, reach out to us using our contact form, email or call us at 416-781-0479. We're open Monday to Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. we're happy to help.

Crisis Support Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

If you need crisis support, the following Toronto-based crisis lines are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:

Emergency Shelters In Toronto

There are many agencies and shelters in the Toronto area that provide emergency accommodation.

Centralized referral for Violence Against Women shelters in Toronto is provided by the Assaulted Women’s Helpline. If you are being abused by your partner or significant other, such as someone else in your immediate family/household, and have made the decision to leave the abusive relationship, call the Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 416-863-0511 or 1-866-863-0511.

Sheltersafe can help you find a shelter by location and includes information about children’s programming, accessibility and whether pets are allowed.

The City of Toronto also provides emergency accommodation for homeless individuals and families that need emergency shelter. Call Toronto Central Intake at 416-397-5637 or dial 3-1-1 and ask them to transfer you.

Housing Assistance

Contact the following organizations if you are having trouble finding or keeping housing:

Community Services

Find out about resources for women and families through the following organizations and services:

Health Organizations

Contact the organizations below if you need health care for you or your loved ones. If you need help accessing primary health care and other health services such as counselling or parenting support, you can also contact the Community Health Centre (CHC) in your neighbourhood. They can help connect you with doctors, nurse practitioners, social workers and more. Services are available even to people who do not have health insurance (OHIP). Which CHC you should go to depends on where you live. To find a CHC near you, visit the Ontario Community Health Centres page or call the ServiceOntario INFOLine at 416-314-5518 or 1-866-532-3161.

Seniors Organizations

Call these groups if you’re 65 years and older and need help finding assistance or services:

Legal & Family Law Organizations

Visit the websites of the groups below if you need help understanding or fighting a legal matter or understanding your legal rights.

Get Informed

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to find out about upcoming events and opportunities to support women